I want to start off this post by admitting two things right off the bat. I'm going to let it all hang out. Well, not literally. Nobody wants to see that! :)
1.) I did this entire project by myself. Woo hoo! Girl power! (Spice Girls anyone?)
2.) I DID THIS ENTIRE PROJECT BY MYSELF. Physically speaking, this should be more like a "Mike project" (aka. the hubby), or even a two person project. I think I almost broke my back--twice. And I know that when I had to shorten the door… it was a little scary. I was using power tools that I have never used before (I hope my husband is sitting down when he reads this!). However, Mike was in class, and I was bound and determined to do this all by myself.
So, the whole point of this disclaimer is…. don't do this project by yourself! Adding the amount of reclaimed wood that I used to this door significantly increases its weight. However, it might be a good way to gain muscle in your arms…. hmm… just kidding!
What do you need to start this project? First off, a door that needs a little extra spice! I originally wanted to make this laundry room door a sliding barnwood door, but since I wanted to do this entirely by myself and not spend a dime that option was out of the question.
One of my favorite blogs is by Jenna Sue Design, and she has an amazing tutorial about doing her own paneled doors. So, I started to chew on this idea, but spun it around with a slightly more rustic twist as well as a zero dollar investment using supplies I had around the house.
I then removed the door from the hinges, and also took off the hinges.
As well as the door door knobs.
My little helper and I measured the door to see what kind of a design I come up with using the reclaimed wood that I had on hand. Unfortunately it was a lot of shorter then I would have liked, but no worries. I just changed the design to accommodate the shorter lengths, and decided to only use four boards--2 sides, and a top and bottom. Please extra the mess, Ava likes to play "babysitter" with her dolls using our towels.
So, the top and bottom boards will actually go the entire width of the door instead of the typical panel doors that you'll see in stores that have them only extend out to the side pieces.
As you can see, help is always right around the corner. No shortage in that department!
After I cut all of the boards to fit onto the door I screwed them into place. So far, everything has been easy, peasy.
NOTE: If you decide to use reclaimed wood you may have to use more screws than normal due to warping or bowed out pieces. I honestly wouldn't worry about how many screws you use. Just as long as it is secured safely to your door. You can always fill in any "ugliness" with wood putty.
I actually debated just leaving the door in this state because I love the difference it has already made. However, there are a lot of holes and random mistakes that needed to be fixed so onward I proceed.
As I was leaning the door up against the frame I realized that it wasn't going to fit now. Why? I decided that I didn't like that the door swung into the laundry room, and wanted to switch it around. Well, by doing so there was a difference in floor height now since Mike did not put our laminate flooring in the laundry room. The laundry room flooring was much lower than the living room area. Oops. I definitely didn't think about this factor.
This is where it got a little scary. I started trying a few different tools to cut this "extra" off of the door. I soon realized that there wasn't any handheld power tools that were strong enough (and with my skill level!) that I could use upstairs. So, my incredibly, brilliant mind decided that I should drag this monstrosity down two flights of stairs to the workshop. ** In case you haven't seen my house before I live in a flood zone which means my house is basically on stilts. See here.
Anyways, to make a long story short… the top of the door isn't exactly straight, but thankfully this flaw is on the inside of the door and the paint covers it pretty well. I know. I'm brilliant. Seriously. This is usually about the same timeframe that I start laughing at myself, and start sarcastically saying, "I have a master's degree". Lol.
After that fiasco, I brought the door back upstairs to paint.
First, I put wood putty into all of the screw holes, random cracks, spots that didn't line up right, and the hole where the door knob used to be and let them dry up.
I was a little intimidated to paint this door black so I started off with a dark charcoal color. I don't mind the color, but it wasn't what I going for. So, I painted it black. I used an exterior satin latex paint, and thankfully it only took a few coats.
Honestly, the drying process did take awhile. I let it dry overnight just to make sure that it was completely good to go, and then did some touch-ups later on the next day.
I forgot to take a picture of the hinges while I fixed them, but I sanded them down and spray painted them with my favorite Rust-oleum spray paint color "Oil Rubbed Bronze". Remember: lots of thin coats of paint and plentyyyy of time to dry!
After I hooked the door back up to its frame (and tested it out!) I went ahead and painted the backside.
Last, I used a tree branch that I had been saving for the door knob. This room also houses the dogs for the time being so I didn't want this door to latch and hinder them from getting in and out.
I simply drilled a hole through the door, into the branch and then put my screw in. Make sure it's long enough to fit all three layers!
Finally, I can enjoy my masterpiece. Awww…. it's so pretty!
Although it was a pain in my butt I have to admit that it was completely worth it! This door has completely transformed this end of the house. It's finally another cohesive element for our home, and one step closer to our dream house.
I hope everyone has a great weekend, and see ya next week :)